Sunday, April 25, 2010

Be Gentle

I continue to be in a mode where I am reading memoirs and self help books. Just this morning I finished the book: The Happiness Project. I didn't really love this book but I couldn't really pin point why. Then upon further reflection I realized it's because my life has been one long happiness project. There was not one thing in the book that I had not taken on at some point in my life with intention and fierce determination, in order to make myself "a better person". Food journal? Check! Joining a new group? Check! Bringing people together? Constantly!

Mindfulness, clutter clearing, new hobbies? Check, check, check! In fact, if I wrote the book of my happiness project it would probably be double the length and twice as boring. I felt tired after reading the book and reminded that it just may be my own quest for happiness that has me tired out most of the time.

When I feel that my life long happiness project is getting out of hand, I always come back to the yogic term Ahimsa which means non-violence. So my resolution just for today anyway is gentleness.

Feeling good enough rather than feeling like we have to beat ourselves into submission to be better is the hardest resolution of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment